Means Test Attorney on Maui
What Is a Means Test?
If you are drowning in debt, you may be wondering if you will ever be able to get a handle on it. You may have heard about bankruptcy and are wondering if it could be the solution to your problems.
A means test is a legal procedure used in bankruptcy cases to ascertain if a debtor qualifies for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which typically discharges most unsecured debts, or if they are capable of paying back a portion of the debt through a Chapter 13 repayment plan. Conducted by a means test attorney, this examination considers the debtor's income, expenses, and family size in relation to the median income of their state. If the debtor's income is below the state median, they may qualify for Chapter 7. If it's above, additional calculations are done to determine if a Chapter 13 filing is necessary. Understanding these nuances can be complex, which is why the role of a means test attorney is critical in navigating these legal proceedings. Enter The Law Office of Jean Christensen LLLC.
Our firm can help you determine what type of bankruptcy is right for you. We can also help you navigate the bankruptcy process and provide you with the representation you need to make the most of this opportunity. We are here to answer your questions and help you move forward with your life.
Call (808) 865-0420 today or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation!
Conducting a means test involves a meticulous review of the debtor's financial circumstances. Several factors come into play during this process, including but not limited to:
- Evaluation of Income: The debtor's income from all sources is compared to the median income in their state for a household of the same size. This includes wages, any business income, rental income, interest, and dividends.
- Assessment of Expenses: Regular, necessary expenses such as rent or mortgage payments, utilities, food, and medical costs are assessed to determine the debtor's disposable income.
- Debt Analysis: Unsecured debts, such as credit card debts and medical bills, are taken into account.
- Comparison with State Median: If the debtor's income is lesser than the state's median income, they may qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If it's higher, they may have to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
- Application of the Means Test Formula: If income is above the median, the means test formula is applied to compute the debtor's disposable income. This formula subtracts specific monthly expenses from current monthly income to find the disposable income.
- Determination of Bankruptcy Eligibility: After all calculations, it's determined whether the debtor is eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy or if they can afford a Chapter 13 repayment plan.
Let Us Help You Get a Fresh Start
At The Law Office of Jean Christensen LLLC, we understand that facing a financial crisis can be overwhelming. Our experienced and dedicated bankruptcy attorney stands ready to guide you through the intricate means test process. With a thorough understanding of bankruptcy laws and a personalized approach, we aim to ease your stress during these challenging times.
Our attorney closely evaluates your financial situation, walking you through each step of the means test, explaining the implications, and working tirelessly to explore the best possible options for your situation. We believe in empowering our clients with information, so you fully understand the pathway out of debt. With our committed support, we strive to help you regain control of your financial future.
Call our Maui means test attorney today at (808) 865-0420 to schedule your free initial consultation.
"I wanted to thank you again for everything you have done for us, we are truly blessed to have you in our lives."E. G.
"You are so together in every aspect of my case. And, you have others to help and guide too!!! We are all blessed by who you are!"L. R.
"She's very down to earth, my spouse went through the process very smoothly no stress."Former Client
"She is very easy to work with. She goes over everything and is very responsive. I can tell that she is very caring and dedicated to help people."Former Client